I love Mac n' Cheese! I mean LOVE! If there were three foods that I would want as a last meal they would be mac n' cheese, nachos, and ice cream. So, the other night I was wanting mac n' cheese and we didn't have any boxed kind in the house, so I resorted to making it from scratch. I was inspired by this incredible mac n' cheese that I had last summer while on vacation at the Manito Tap House, in Spokane, WA. Their's is a green chili mac n' cheese, and it is amazing. I know, cause I still think about it almost a year later. That is how I know if a food is good, I think about it later. Mmmmmmm............mac n' cheese bliss. Here is my ode to that mac n' cheese.
Green Chili Mac n’ Cheese
- 3 slices of bacon (reserve 2 Tbs. of the bacon grease)
- 1 16oz. box of mini rigatoni
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 4 Tbs. flour
- 2 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded muenster cheese (or whatever white cheese you prefer that melts well)
- 4 Tbs. green chili enchilada sauce
- 1 green onion sliced thin
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook bacon until it is crisp. Crumble into small pieces. Remember to save the bacon grease.
- Cook the mini rigatoni according to the directions on the box.
- In sauce pan, on medium heat, combine butter and bacon grease.
- Add garlic and flour and whisk until combined. Cook for a minute or two.
- Add milk and continue to whisk. Sauce will thicken quickly.
- Add cheese, whisk until it is completely melted.
- Add green chili enchilada sauce, salt, and pepper, and whisk again.
- Combine mini rigatoni with sauce.
- Sprinkle bacon and green onion on top.
- Eat and enjoy!