Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Bathroom Makeover

Way back in June I started to redoing what I had planned to be the first room in the house to get a redo, the Dining Room. Let's just say that room turned out to be more work than I had anticipated because of the 6 layers of wallpaper. Yes, 6! Needless to say, that room still isn't finished and is in a sad state of half the wallpaper removed and half still waiting to be done, or as my mom called it "the crack house look." 

Anyhow, because that has been such a pain, I moved on to an easier room, the Bathroom. In June we hosted a church get together at our house, which was the start of the redo. You see, I had taken down the very old curtains and shower curtain that the house came with. Sorry, no pictures of that loveliness. Then I realized that we may need curtains on the bathroom window which looks out on to the side porch/mudroom area. I didn't think people would want to use the bathroom without curtains on the window while people were filling their plates with food from the buffet set up out on the porch area. So, I hurried and made new curtains and a shower curtain in a day.
I had something else in mind, but what I could find that was close was a solid turquoise. Then I found a printed material to accent it. I wanted something with peacocks, but of course couldn't find what I was looking for, so I settled for something that reminded me of peacocks. 

And then it took me until November to actually repaint the room. First I had to remove the dated wallpaper border. This alone took decades of age off that room. 
Before
After the border removal
Two of the walls were white and two walls were a light tan color. I decided that I was going to do a really nice paint job. So, I patched all the little nail holes, removed the support bars by the toilet and shower, sanded the patched areas, wiped everything down, and taped everything off. I don't think I have ever done all that when I have painted before.
 Then two coats of Lyrical Lemon Grass later, and I had a nice cherry, sunny, wake you up in the morning, yellow room. All that is still left to do now is change out the knobs on the vanity. Now that the room is redone, I don't mind the brass fixtures. They actually look nice with the yellow walls. And here is the redone room.
Also, did a painting to go with the room. Made this painting from a print and frame that I paid $1 for at a second hand store. Painted over the original print and repainted the frame. Cheap art for the bathroom, can't beat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment