Friday, March 21, 2014

My Ode to Green Chili Mac n' Cheese

I love Mac n' Cheese! I mean LOVE! If there were three foods that I would want as a last meal they would be mac n' cheese, nachos, and ice cream. So, the other night I was wanting mac n' cheese and we didn't have any boxed kind in the house, so I resorted to making it from scratch. I was inspired by this incredible mac n' cheese that I had last summer while on vacation at the Manito Tap House, in Spokane, WA. Their's is a green chili mac n' cheese, and it is amazing. I know, cause I still think about it almost a year later. That is how I know if a food is good, I think about it later. Mmmmmmm............mac n' cheese bliss. Here is my ode to that mac n' cheese. 
 

Green Chili Mac n’ Cheese

Ingredients
  • 3 slices of bacon (reserve 2 Tbs. of the bacon grease)
  • 1 16oz. box of mini rigatoni
  • 2 Tbs. butter
  • 4 Tbs. flour
  • 2 cloves of garlic finely minced
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 cups shredded muenster cheese (or whatever white cheese you prefer that melts well)
  • 4 Tbs. green chili enchilada sauce
  • 1 green onion sliced thin
  • salt & pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Cook bacon until it is crisp. Crumble into small pieces. Remember to save the bacon grease.
  2. Cook the mini rigatoni according to the directions on the box.
  3. In sauce pan, on medium heat, combine butter and bacon grease.
  4. Add garlic and flour and whisk until combined. Cook for a minute or two.
  5. Add milk and continue to whisk. Sauce will thicken quickly.
  6. Add cheese, whisk until it is completely melted.
  7. Add green chili enchilada sauce, salt, and pepper, and whisk again.
  8. Combine mini rigatoni with sauce.
  9. Sprinkle bacon and green onion on top.
  10. Eat and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment